The beginnings of the "Rzeszów-Jasionka" Airport date back to the years of the Nazi occupation, when in 1940 a runway 1200 m long and 40 m wide was built in Jasionka for military purposes.
At the end of the war, in 1944, the Germans, leaving the airport, destroyed it. In the same year, the airport was taken over by the Russians. Then, in 1949 it was rebuilt and made available for air transport.
The passenger terminal of the "Rzeszów-Jasionka" Airport in the 1960s
Another important step in the history of the "Rzeszów-Jasionka" Airport was the year 1959 and the take over of the airport administration from the National Airlines "LOT" by the Management of Air Traffic and Communication Airports.
From that very moment it was constantly upgraded - a new terminal, a square in front of the terminal, taxiways, a runway and a traffic control tower were built.
"Rzeszów-Jasionka" Airport (the '60s) - on the right the legendary "Dakota" plane
1958 - the opening of the new air season at the "Rzeszów-Jasionka" Airport
At that time, as well as in the 1970s, there was a significant rise in domestic flights - to Warsaw, Gdansk, Poznan, Koszalin, Wroclaw and Szczecin, thus allowing the airport to serve more than 100 000 passengers per year.
On 01.04.1974, the Airport "Rzeszów-Jasionka" became an international airport, and an alternate airport for the Warsaw-Okęcie Airport. In 1987, the State Enterprise "Polish Airports" was founded, grouping all the airports in the country. The Rzeszow-Jasionka Airport was within its structures to the end of June 2009.
The beginning of the 1990s, and the accompanying period of the economic downturn, had also an impact on the aviation industry. Despite the construction of a new arrivals and departures lounges, the Polish Airlines "LOT" suspended regular communication between Rzeszow and Warsaw. The situation of the airport deteriorated significantly.
Some visible changes and the gradual development of air traffic began to take place only in the late 1990s. Initially, it was the charter cargo and passenger flight connections with Azerbaijan, and then with Georgia that were launched, and they allowed the Rzeszów Airport to become the leader in the national group of regional airports in relation to the amount of freight shipments. In 1996, Polish Airlines "LOT" resumed regular communication with Warsaw.
Mentioning the constant development of the "Rzeszów-Jasionka" Airport you cannot ignore major investments such as new administrative buildings and technical facilities, a filling station, and above all, the modernization and extension of the runway (3200 m long and 45 m of operational width), the second apron and taxiway.
The most awaited investment in the "Rzeszów-Jasionka" Airport was the construction of a new passenger terminal building. After 15 months of construction, on 8 May 2012, the passenger service was moved to the new passenger terminal, which significantly changed the image of the Rzeszów-Jasionka Airport. One building combined departures and arrivals, which were supported by technical and commercial infrastructure. The New Terminal Building has three floors above ground and one underground.
The capacity of the new terminal is 720 passengers per hour. Ultimately, it may reach the level of 1 400 passengers per hour. This allows achieving the maximum annual throughput of 1.8 million passengers.
The "Rzeszów-Jasionka" Airport, as the furthest to the southeast communication airport in Poland, has an opportunity to develop further in the near future to open a wider window on the world for our region.